During the nineties I was dubbed a Dame de la Chaine des Rotisseurs. My interest in French cooking is something I developed in my late teens and early twenties while I was managing a restaurant in London. I particularly enjoy cooking with fresh herbs and garlic.
I was brought up in the Hotel industry and I often travelled to Europe with my parents, staying in bijou hotels and visiting famous restaurants. When I was first married I would do all my own baking and dinner party preparations.
I remember my husband once telephoned me during the afternoon and asked me to prepare a dinner party at our house for 12 business people that night.
Desserts are always a favourite at dinner parties. At Christmas time I still make fudge, shortbread and other sweetmeats, often giving these away as gifts.
I now try to eat more healthily thanks to my health conscious daughters who read every label there is and avoid as much fat as possible. I incorporate a lot of fruit and vegetables into a low fat diet, taking vitamins daily and I am beginning to eat organic products and fresh squeezed juices regularly. I like treats occasionally.
I was born in Morecambe, England, and developed an interest in art as a child. In 1968, I came to Bermuda to pursue a career in Hotel Management, but turned again to my childhood hobby in 1975. I enrolled in art classes, joined the Bermuda Society of Arts and attended night school at the Bermuda College. I feel that I have developed a style of soft watercolours that is complementary to Bermuda's light and colour and I particularly enjoy painting Bermuda flowers and scenes. I always paint on location as I feel that this is the only way to capture the spontaneous quality of watercolour.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
* A display of paintings at "Chelston", the American Consul General's residence 1985
* A display of paintings in the Premier's office of the Bermuda Cabinet building 1984
* A display of paintings to represent Bermdua at galleries in Illinois U.S.A. during the Pan-Am Games 1987
* Airport lounge decoration - painting "Bailey's Bay" selected for the arrival of Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret 1984
* Artist of the Year - Business & Professional Women's Association 1981
* Bermuda Booth Vacation World 1992 Boston - Grand Display Award
* Bermuda Festival Poster and Souvenir Programme 1985
* "Certificate of Excellence" - International Society of Performing Arts Administrators, New York - 1985 Bermuda Festival Poster) 1986
* Bermuda Flower Show "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" Poster Programme cover 1988
* Bermuda Flower International Show, Poster and Programme cover 1986
* Boston Horticutural Society Benefit (Invitation) 1989
* Christmas Cards for the Bermuda Service League 1977-1986
* Christmas Cards for the Committee of 25 for Handicapped Children 1988
* Front cover design for "Insider" - new international magazine
* Honourable mention Grumbacher award for painting "Springfield" 1983
* Listed - Fisher's World International Travel Magazine 1988 to 1998
* Listed - Fodor magazine "Meet the Artist" 1988 to 1998
* Listed - Images of Bermuda by La Brucherie Californina 1989
* New Orleans World's Fair - Blue ribbon for "Bermuda Flowers" 1984
Bermuda Society of Arts "Heritage Exhibition" Cash Award. "Barbers Alley" 2001
PAINTINGS IN COLLECTIONS
* Bank of Bermuda Ltd.
* Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Ltd.
* Bermuda Fire & Marine Insurance Co. Ltd.
* Heddington Insurance Ltd.
* Mid Ocean Club, Tucker's Town.
* Stonington Beach Hotel.
* Currie Lehman, Canada.
* Bethesda, MD, U.S.A.
* Liberian Services, Inc., U.S.A.
* Martime Trading Co., Germany.
* Needham & Grohmann, Inc., New York.
* Nissan Corporation, Japan.
* Christening of oil tanker "Berge Sisar", Oslo, Norway 1980
* Inaugural flight of Concorde to Bermuda 1983
* Several Hotel Convention Displays, Bermuda
* Automobile Dealers Association of Ontario, Southampton Princess Hotel, Bermuda 1979
* Bermuda Arts Center at Dockyard 1985, 1987, 1995
* Canadian Accounts' Convention, Sonesta Beach Hotel, Bermuda 1984
* Chrysler Corporation Convention, Dockyard, Bermuda 1986
* Craft Market, Dockyard, Bermuda 1987
* Heritage House Gallery, Bermuda 1984 & 1987
* Numerous Bermuda Group Exhibits
* Rendezvous Craft Market 1976-1987
* Solo Shows Windjammer Gallery, Bermuda 1981 &1985
* "Woman" Exhibition 1983, 1984, 1986, 1987
* Artexpo, Coliseum, New York City 1984
* Houston Festival U.S.A. 1984
Carole finds little time to exhibit since opening her studio & shops.